WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
1. If you haven't already done so, please download and submit a Property Access Form, and send it to the Alfordlink Commission at the Town Offices.
2. Log onto www.alfordlink.com to subscribe for:
a. Internet service;
b. Internet and phone service; or,
c. Service drop only (no subscription).
Note: If you cannot go on-line just call: 833 923 2255
3. Once your application has been received, and fiber testing has been successfully tested for your area, you will be contacted by Whip City Fiber Customer Service Representative (CSR) to discuss your drop and determine if there are any drop costs required from you. This will happen for longer underground drops, typically over 150 feet, as described above.
4. The cost estimate will be based on survey data measured and collected by a field engineer and then validated by our design firm using Geographic Information System (GIS) Software. For underground runs, a conservative “worst-case” length was used to make sure that more than enough drop cable has been allocated to avoid coming up short. This is because it is not possible to know the exact route that an underground conduit takes until the actual installation. In most cases the length of the drop used for estimating will be slightly longer than the actual installed length. You will only be charged for the actual length as measured by the drop installation crew.
5. If there are costs beyond the $200 credit associated with your underground drop the Whip City CSR will advise you of the estimated cost. If you agree to the cost estimate, the CSR will schedule an appointment to install the service drop. The billable portion of the drop cost will be included on your first and/or second bills.
6. The inside the home installation will typically lag the drop installation by one to two weeks, depending on inside crew availability.
7. We expect that the service drop process will begin in the next few weeks. We thus encourage residents to send in their service applications now, so that they can be a part of the first round of installations.
If you have additional questions please reach out to the Alford MLP and we will do our best to answer them. Answers to many frequently asked questions (FAQs) can be found at https://www.whipcityfiber.com/pages/general/faq/
AlfordLink is a municipal not-for-profit enterprise. It truly belongs to the community and represents a tremendous effort that we can all be proud of. AlfordLink needs the support of Alford homeowners, in the form of subscriptions, in order to be successful. Broadband internet service will not solve all of our problems but without it our region will find itself more and more at an economic and cultural disadvantage. Today’s internet is somewhat like yesterday’s railroads. It is opening up possibilities for new ways of working, communicating and engaging with each other and with the world. For most of us Broadband internet has become an “essential service”. We hope you will participate in this remarkable opportunity to invest in Alford’s future and that of western Massachusetts.
View these Links to additional details and information:
Alford MLP Property Access Agreements: https://www.dropbox.com/s/56tuw8pixrkl1xf/Property%20Access%20Form%2020180417.pdf?dl=0
Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.whipcityfiber.com/pages/general/faq/